The supervision of audiovisual programme provision and the coordination and promotion of national media education are handled by the Finnish Centre for Media Education and Audiovisual Media MEKU, which is subject to the Ministry of Education and Culture.
- supervises compliance with the Act on Audiovisual Programmes. This Act provides for restrictions on the provision of audiovisual programmes for the purpose of protecting children;
- promotes media education, children’s media skills and the development of safe media environment for children in cooperation with other authorities and corporations in the sector;
- acts as an expert in the development of children's media environment and promotes research related to the sector, as well as monitors international development in the field;
- distributes information about children and the media;
- takes feedback from audiences concerning the provision of audiovisual programmes detrimental to the development of children;
- acknowledges receipt of audience feedback. If the feedback leads to further measures, the Centre notifies the individual giving feedback of this;
- has an Advisory Board, the task of which is to support and develop the Centre’s activities, as well as to make suggestions and promote cooperation in the sector.